About This Route
This figure of eight route follows the old railway line in part that was a branch line of the East Coast Main line . Opened in 1849 this branch line between Reston and Duns was extended to meet the Hawick to Edinburgh line in 1865. This was one section of 5,000 miles of railway line recommended for closure under ‘Beeching’s Axe’ in 1966.
Abbey St Bathans, Ellemford, Duns